Hobbs Medical Ventures is a biotech consulting firm that provides expert support to both young and established companies, research institutions and investors. We leverage extensive industry experience with proven track records in consulting to help our clients create sustainable value. We understand that the medical industry is diverse and that its component sectors often have very different requirements for the successful commercialization of technologies and products.
Our experts have held executive positions in start-up, private and public companies in several of the major medical sectors including immuno-oncology, interventional radiology, vascular surgery, interventional cardiology, surgical oncology, rheumatology, neurology, cosmetic medicine, urology, gastroenterology and drug delivery. This front line expertise allows us to understand the specific needs of each sector and to tailor our consultancy services to create maximum value for our clients.
Mr. Hobbs is the Founder and President of Hobbs Medical Ventures. He is an entrepreneurial senior leader with over 35 years of demonstrated success in profitable medical device, pharma and biotech business creation, general management, sales and marketing, and product development. He is a high-integrity, passionate leader known for exceptional abilities in developing strong customer/physician relationships and building top-performing sales and operational teams.
Mr. Hobbs is an entrepreneurial senior executive with over 35 years of demonstrated success in profitable medical device and combination drug/device product business creation and growth, general management, sales and marketing, and product development. He is a renowned expert in combination drug/device technologies, having developed and commercialized numerous combination products throughout this career.
Previously he was a Visiting Scholar and Entrepreneur in Residence for the Translational Accelerator at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School. He has also led several pharmaceutical and biotech companies throughout his career. Formerly he was President and CEO of Antares Pharma, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATRS), a specialty pharmaceutical and drug/device combination company focused on self-injection pharmaceutical products and technologies. Prior to ATRS, he was the President and CEO of Delcath Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: DCTH), a specialty pharmaceutical and medical device company specializing in a novel drug/device combination cancer therapy.
Prior to Delcath Systems, Inc., Mr. Hobbs served as President and CEO of AngioDynamics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANGO), a company he co-founded in 1988. He grew the company into a leading medical technology and oncology company which he took public in 2004. ANGO was the best performing medical technology IPO of the class of 2004, also earning the top honors in 2005 and 2006. It was also recognized in Business Week as a “Hot 100 Top Growth Company” for 2005 and 2006 and received a # 11 ranking in Forbes “Best 200 Small Companies” in 2006. Prior to starting AngioDynamics, Mr. Hobbs was Director of Marketing and Product Development at NAMIC; founder, President and CEO of Hobbs Medical, Inc.; and a Product Development Engineer at Cook Incorporated.
He is a highly sought-after board director and has served on numerous public and private company boards throughout his career, including at present 4 other companies in addition to immunosync. Mr. Hobbs received a B.S. degree in Plastics Engineering with a Biomaterials emphasis at the University of Massachusetts (Lowell).
- Medical Device and Combination Drug/Device Innovations and Commercialization – Awarded over 30 United States patents for successfully commercialized inventions of novel medical devices, drug delivery systems and drug therapies throughout career. Built strong sales and marketing teams to win leadership market share against much larger and heavily entrenched competitors.
- Industry Leadership – Broadly recognized as a leader in the medical device and combination drug/device product community, providing guidance to customer professional societies such as the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) and American College of Phlebology (ACP) in strategic planning and medical practice expansion, as well as industry peer recognition such as being elected the Chairman of the Medical Device Manufacturers Association (MDMA) Board of Directors.
- Unparalleled Recognition – Granted an Honorary Fellowship by the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), receiving one of ten Honorary Fellowships granted in the 50-year history of the SIR, and one of only three ever granted to a non-physician.
- Business Development – After founding AngioDynamics as a Division of E-Z-EM, Inc., lead the extremely successful tax-free spin-off and Initial Public Offering (IPO) of the company in 2004, winning multiple awards for top-performing medtech IPO and public company business performance.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Spearheaded numerous large and small acquisitions; conducted due diligence, led negotiations, integrated operations, and managed strategic relationships through complex transitions.
- Board of Directors – Extensive experience as both public and private company Board Director. Broad experience Chairing Compensation, Audit, and Nominating & Governance Committees.